Call us on 029 20480596 or email us at email@example.com
At talk in the bay we realise the importance of listening to the needs and difficulties young people face today. Our Young Persons therapists are here to help you through any difficulties you may be trying to deal with.
Deciding to seek counselling can be a daunting prospect for any adult let alone a young person, it can raise many different questions such as what will my counsellor be like? What will we talk about? Will they judge me? Will people think I’m crazy?
Growing up can be confusing at the best of times, add to that a sad or difficult experience that you may have been through or are currently dealing with, then life really can be a struggle to get your head around.
You may think you’re a bad person, blame yourself for things that were outside of your control, have panic attacks, bouts of sadness, moments of anger or rage, and find yourself feeling helpless or thinking that life has little or no meaning. Before you know it, it can feel as though your head is full of a million questions or thoughts buzzing around your head…. “what if?” “What’s the point?” “I’m not good enough.” or “I shouldn’t be feeling like this!”
If there’s any assurance our young people’s therapists can give you, it’s that lots of people go through similar experiences, you’re not alone and there is always someone out there willing to listen.
Our young people’s team of counsellors aim to help you understand the difficulties that you have been experiencing, help you figure out where they may have started and help you decide on how you would like to work through them.
Everything they discuss with you, whether a young person or grown up is strictly confidential, and there are only a few occasions where confidentiality may need to be broken such as if they are worried that you may harm yourself or someone else and if they become concerned that you could come to harm at the hands of someone else.
Platforms used for Young People’s Online Therapy
Today there are many different platforms to enable individual therapy to take place.
Your therapist or counsellor and you should have a provision for a quiet, private space to allow regular sessions to take place. You will usually be sent a link to click on enabling you to enter the virtual room with the client. One of the most popular platforms today is zoom. Zoom offers a simple quick and easy way to meet online whereby your counsellor will send you a zoom link embedded in your appointment confirmation. Once you click on the link at your assigned time you will arrive in the virtual room with your therapist. Other platforms which may be used include skype or vsee.
Talking over the telephone is still a popular way of meeting with your therapist.
What are the different types of Therapy?
- Art Therapy: using art and drawing to understand and communicate difficult emotions
- Behaviour Therapy: explores and understands the way you act and behave in different situations
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT): explores your thoughts and emotions and how these impact on your behaviour
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT): Explore opposing positions and how these can co-exist
- Drama Therapy: using drama and music to understand and communicate difficult emotions
- Humanistic Therapy: Focuses on the mind, body, spirit and soul of the individual
- Mindfulness Based Therapy: becoming aware of your thoughts and feelings and learning to live in the present
- Person Centred Therapy: Focus on the self and your strengths and how you can transfer these into personal growth
- Solution Focussed Therapy: Focuses on what you want to achieve in the future